Our Heritage

Over 100 Years of Service

Oliver’s Funeral Home has been serving the Peace Country since 1915. Over the years, the business has adapted and changed to better serve families. Through it all, the funeral home has remained an independently owned and operated funeral service company dedicated to caring for the families of the Peace Country.

Oliver's old letterhead, THe J.B. Oliver Funeral Home LTD
Letterhead Circa 1951

Timeline

1915

Funeral Home and Ambulance Started

JB Oliver arrived in Grande Prairie in 1914. By 1915, he had started the Peace Country’s first funeral home. Prior to the start of the JB Oliver Funeral Home, Edmonton had the closest funeral home. Services were occasionally paid for with chickens, garden produce, pork, or labour.

1915

1917

JB Oliver signed up for WWI

Frank Donald managed the funeral home until JB Oliver returned.

1917

1919

JB Oliver returned to Grande Prairie

On his way back, he took a two month course in stone cutting so he could make headstones. He then returned to Grande Prairie and resumed running the funeral home.

1919

1920

JB Oliver Married Annie Partlow

Together, they had four daughters.

1920

1923

JB Oliver Furniture Started

Oliver built a shop on 100th Ave & 100th St in downtown Grande Prairie. Both the Funeral Home and Furniture store operated from this location.

1923

1951

Separate Building for Funeral Service

A separate building was built at 10130 101 Ave for the funeral home.

1951

1951

Laurie Little joins business

JB’s son-in-law, Laurie Little joined the family business. Laurie was married to JB’s daughters, Joan.

1951

September 20, 1965

50th Anniversary Party

September 20, 1965

October 21, 1967

JB Oliver Dies

JB Oliver dies. Laurie and Joan Little take over business.

October 21, 1967

October 25, 1970

Funeral Home moved to 10212 102 St.

October 25, 1970

1971

Roger and Denise Winnicky become owners

1971

1973

Ambulance Service Transferred to QEII Hospital

1973

1994

Grande Prairie Funeral Chapel opened as second location

1994

2000

Locations Merged

In the early 2000’s  the two locations were merged to form “Oliver’s Grande Prairie Funeral Chapel”. 

2000

2011

Gene Krause and Jenn Dodd become owners

Gene and Jenn purchase Oliver’s from Roger and Denise. Gene had been a manager and funeral director for many years already. Jenn, a longtime resident of Grande Prairie, joined him to become the new owners.

2011

2015

100 Year Anniversary

Name Changed to “Oliver’s Funeral Home”

Dedication of JB Oliver Park

2015

2017

Chris Clements purchased Jenn Dodd’s portion of Oliver’s

2017

2018

Tracy and Craig McFee join Oliver’s Management

Gene Krause took a step back and Tracy and Craig McFee join Chris as partners in Oliver’s Funeral Home.

2018

September 2020

Gene Krause retires

Gene Krause officially retired after 41 years in the funeral industry.

September 2020